BuildingGreen Bulletin, November 2007: EBN
Twice each month, BuildingGreen publishes an email news bulletin with current news and product information briefs. Sign up here—it's free. We will never share or sell your email address, and you may unsubscribe at any time.
- The November 2007 issue of Environmental Building News (EBN) is available online.
- Quote of the Month
- "[The shift to PVC] is a big step backwards."—Tom Lent of the Healthy Building Network on the decking industry's move away from recycled-HDPE and wood fiber composites to virgin PVC products.
- This Month's Primer
- Featured EBN Articles
- Investing in the Environment: The Financial Industry's Approach to Green BuildingRecent changes in the financial industry are providing new opportunities for financing green buildings. However, lenders and investors have different approaches to documenting the benefits of green, which affect how they use rating systems and other metrics. To navigate effectively in the financial world, green designers and builders need to understand the territory.
- Group Led by ASLA to Create Environmental Rating System for Landscapes
- In Effort to Document Environmental Impact, Stone Industry Gathering Life-Cycle Data
- Recycled Decking Manufacturers Launch Virgin PVC Options
- Materials Innovators Engage Cradle to Cradle Protocol
- Featured EBN Product News and Reviews
- Innovation in Urinals from CaromaCaroma has introduced two new urinals, one with a pint-sized, fluid-sensing flush mechanism and the other a waterless unit with a diaphragm rather than a trap.
- LED Downlight from LLF—Most Efficient on the Market
- Products Recently Added to the GreenSpec Product Directory
- Commercial Pinstripe Broadloom Carpet from Bentley Prince Street Uses Post-Production Yarn
- Syndecrete Cement-Based Precast Lightweight Composite Includes Recycled Carpet Fiber
- OptiNet is an Automated, Building-Integrated System for Monitoring Indoor Air Quality
- From BuildingGreen's case studies database
- Marion Oliver McCaw Hall, Seattle, WashingtonWorking with the overriding concept of blurring the lines between inside and outside, McCaw Hall's design team focused around three primary goals: renovating the 80-year-old performance venue; maximizing the energy performance of the large, glazed west entrance; and ensuring good indoor environmental quality in the auditorium.
- BuildingGreen's case studies database
- On BuildingGreen Suite's Green Building Calendar
- Greenbuild International Conference and Expo, November 6-9, 2007—ChicagoBuildingGreen's EBN editorial team and GreenSpec teams will be attending Greenbuild, reporting from the conference, conducting product research on the tradeshow floor, and researching current trends in green building. Come see our staff at booth #849.BuildingGreen staff will speak at the following sessions:
Green Guideline Specifications: Taking it Public, Making it RealNadav Malin moderating
Wednesday, 4-5:30 pm
Green Residential Remodeling GuidelinesPeter Yost
Thursday, 8-9:30 am
2007 Top-10 Green Building ProductsAlex Wilson
Thursday, 10-11:30 am
Adding it Up: The GreenSource Guide to Calculating the Carbon Footprint of your BuildingNadav Malin
Thursday, 4-5:30 pm
- BuildingGreen Suite's Green Building Calendar
- Materials, Resources, and Indoor Environmental Quality
- Green Practice: Energy and Air Quality
- Environmental Systems
- Smart Growth Planning
- High Performance Buildings and the LEED Rating System
All courses count for AIA credit, and most have been endorsed by the USGBC's Education Providers Program.
SUPPORT INDEPENDENT SUSTAINABILITY REPORTING
BuildingGreen relies on our premium members, not on advertisers. Help make our work possible.See membership options »
The following online courses start this week:
(2007, October 30). BuildingGreen Bulletin, November 2007: EBN. Retrieved from https://www.buildinggreen.com/blog/buildinggreen-bulletin-november-2007-ebn