NSF Wallcovering Standard Papers Over Vinyl Problems
by Paula Melton
Nearly a thousand wallcovering styles have already achieved conformance or Silver certification under NSF/ANSI 342–2012: Sustainability Assessment for Wallcovering Products—and 99% of them are conventional vinyl. The other 1% are thermoplastic olefin, or TPO. Some in the industry have suggested the standard is little more than greenwashing—among them Cliff Goldman, president of Carnegie Fabrics and a longtime critic of PVC use.
“It’s a joke,” remarked Goldman candidly. “That’s really a black eye for NSF. It’s another way for a trade organization to go to its buying community and say, ’Hey, all our products pass the NSF so-and-so!’” (See “Nine Types of Greenwashing.”) The apparent weakness of the standard is particularly surprising coming from NSF, which is known for several reputable multi-attribute sustainability standards for materials.
Published March 3, 2014
Melton, P. (2014, March 3). NSF Wallcovering Standard Papers Over Vinyl Problems. Retrieved from https://www.buildinggreen.com/news-analysis/nsf-wallcovering-standard-papers-over-vinyl-problems